EachStep Blackburn is a new £5m specialist dementia care service that provides respite, residential, nursing and end of life care. It is part of the Community Integrated Care, one of Britain's biggest and most successful health and social care charities, and has been planned in partnership with Blackburn with Darwen Council.
We are extremely proud that our care home in Blackburn has been named Britain's Best Care Home by the Journal of Dementia Care.
The home brings together modern dementia-friendly environment design, leading person-centred care approaches, a significant focus on involving the local community, and a commitment to making a social impact in Blackburn.
EachStep Blackburn applies the latest advances in dementia-friendly building design. We want people who live with dementia to lead full, happy and active lives - that’s why we’ve created a unique approach that sees us install creative themed rooms throughout our home. EachStep Blackburn includes a stunning cinema, a tea room, indoor gardens, a Blackburn Rovers and cricket area, spaces that showcase the history of the local area, and a music room. These multi-sensory areas promote stimulation, reminiscence and relaxation.
As our name suggests, we want to support people throughout ‘each step’ of their journey with dementia. We aspire to provide people we support with a specialist service that can adapt with changing needs, and also give their loved ones the support and stability that they need. We do this by recruiting colleagues with great values and providing them with a host of specialist training.
Uniquely, we have entered into a pioneering partnership with Helen Sanderson Associates, acclaimed international experts in person-centred care. We will be working with them to ensure that all aspects our care delivery is truly person-centred and promotes wellbeing. This will include us providing people with individual hours of support; using Community Circles – skilled volunteers who will support each resident to stay connected with the people and passions that are important to them; and investing in the skills and mentoring of colleagues.
We want to make EachStep a genuine hub of the community, where we share our talents and resources with local people, and encourage their participation too. Our partnerships include:
- One Voice Blackburn – One Voice are a leading community group in Blackburn. We’ve worked with them to ensure that our service can provide great care and support to members of the South Asian community, and benefit from the support of local people and businesses.
- Blackburn College – We’ve offered free training to Health and Social Care students at Blackburn College, as well as volunteering and work opportunities to students. This ensures that we benefit from the talents of committed young people, and also invest in their development too.
- Blackburn Rovers Community Trust – The Trust helped us to create a Blackburn Rovers themed area in the home, filled with iconic memorabilia and photographs from the club’s history. This is a wonderful space that will stimulate fond memories for our football fans.
- Ivy St Community Centre – We’ve developed a supportive partnership with the wonderful team at Ivy St, where we both help each other through volunteering and sharing our talents. They’re vital partners of EachStep Blackburn.
- Age UK – The team at Age UK have generously supported our development of EachStep Blackburn, helping us to create the most dementia friendly and inclusive service possible.
Set in the heart of the multicultural community of Blackburn, our home is within easy reach of local shops, restaurants, health centres and cultural and religious hubs.